The Municipality of Ponda will renew the unfinished works of the Golden Jubilee | Goa News

0
Ponda: After the contractor expressed his inability to continue work on the Golden Jubilee project, the Ponda City Council (PMC) decided to reopen the remaining works.
It was to be a flagship project. representing the cultural importance of the city with two small multiplexes, a cafeteria or a food park and a large parking lot in the basement on stilts.
A board meeting held on June 15 decided to change contractor in order to complete the project as soon as possible.
The project was sanctioned by the then Congressional government in 2011 to commemorate the 50th anniversary of Goa’s liberation, but it failed to take off despite two cornerstone laying ceremonies.
In 2011, the government sanctioned Rs 2 crore to PMC to build the project, but work could not start. Later, on October 30, 2015, the municipality redesigned the project designs to include additional equipment, increasing the cost estimate to Rs 4.3 crore.
The project even saw two cornerstone laying ceremonies. As Home Secretary in the Congressional government, Ravi Naik laid a foundation stone on December 19, 2011. He lost the elections in 2012, and subsequently another foundation stone was laid on May 19, 2014 by the then PWD Minister Ramkrishna Dhavalikar.
Construction work for the project was awarded to Sameer Vachasundar, a civil contractor, who completed part of the structure.
“The contractor said he could not afford to work with the old Goa Tariff Schedule (GSR) and requested a review in accordance with the new GSR. The contractor has so far paid around Rs 2 crore and is looking for an additional Rs 80 lakh to complete the project, ”PMC Chairman Shantaram Kolvenkar said.
He said PMC will take the burden off the contractor from the project and issue a new tender for the remaining work to be completed at the earliest.
Kolvenkar also said that it was decided that the shops on the ground floor should be reserved for people wishing to run businesses.
Recall that on September 3, 2018, then the director of the municipal administration R Menaka inspected the project and assured that she would follow up on the issue of the outstanding amount with the direction of arts and culture.
However, the project was unable to move forward and the council now hopes to complete it using the sanctioned unused funds at PMC under the Union Government’s 14th Financial Plan, which amounts to Rs 3. , 3 crore.


Source link

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.